Thursday, June 24, 2010


I just had what was, quite possibly, the scariest moment of my life to date. 
There's a little girl who lives at the end of the street that Reilly likes to play with, and she is allowed to walk down there by herself to see if she can play. So, today, when she asked me, "Mom, can I go and see if Anna can play?" I thought nothing of it and told her that would be fine. I continued putting away pet food and puttering about for probably five to ten minutes when it occurred to me that she wasn't back yet.
So I head down the street to retrieve her.
At Anna's house, there are two cars in the driveway, but nobody answers the door despite several rounds of knocking...well, knocking, then knocking harder, then pounding with my fist, actually.
No answer.
I head back up the street to our house, my heart beginning to speed up. A nice guy who lives across the street from Anna's house called to me and asked if I was looking for someone. (He was very nice and said, "You looked kind of worried.") I told him that Reilly had gone down there to see if Anna could play, but she apparently wasn't there. He said that he'd seen a couple of girls leave with someone in an SUV a little while earlier. I told him I was sure that she had come back into the house and I'd just not noticed. 
I get back to the house, calling her name as I come through the door, expecting her to answer from her room.
No answer.
I'm amazed at the amount of scenario's that can go through a parent's head when faced with something like that. In a matter of about thirty seconds, I had her being whisked into the SUV and taken off to who knows where. I had her somehow locked up in Anna's house, unable to get to the door. I had her snatched off of the street by a passing car.
I kept my wits about me long enough to call to the neighbor across the street to see if she had gone there. And, when her friend said that, yes, she was there, I was able to maintain my composure long enough to tell her to tell Reilly to come home RIGHT. NOW.
And then I sat on the sofa and burst into tears.
I don't think she'll ever change locations like that without telling me. I'm thinking that the trauma of watching her mom bawl while trying to chew her out might just have scarred her for life.
Which, at this point, is fine with me.


Mama Teaching 2 said...

Oh my gosh! I think you must have aged ten years in those moments. I am so glad she is okay!

Rhonda said...

Oh you poor dear! I can't even imagine what must have been going through your mind. I am so relieved to hear that she is ok and back home safe and sound.

Lisa T said...

Wow I had a moment of panic just reading your story! Crazy kids!

Heather the Mama Duk said...

The same thing happened with Ani about a year ago. It turned out she had gone into the townhouse RIGHT NEXT DOOR to play, but without having told us she was leaving the playground where she had been playing with several other kids, it was a while before we found her. I don't think she'll ever do that again.